Step four - Choose the right products
A combination of flood measures offer the best way to protect your property and minimise recovery costs. You should consider:
- Resistance measures - designed to keep floodwater out
- Resilience measures - designed to reduce damage when water enters
If you're looking to invest in property flood resilience products, you may find this guide helpful. Flood resilience products do not guarantee that your home will be completely protected from all flood events, but they should minimise any damage.
Step five - Choose the right installer
Find an installer you can trust with this guide to choosing the right tradespeople.
Please note: that there will be special considerations if you own a listed building, or you are located in a conservation area. In this case, please refer to the Historic England guide Flooding and Historic Buildings that will direct you to specialist advice.
Step six - Keep products in good working order
All products will need to be periodically checked, tested and maintained:
- Practice installing products such as flood barriers
- Check mechanisms on products like flood doors and valves regularly to ensure that they are in good working order
- Take care if having any alterations made to existing products such as flood doors as these may invalidate manufacturers’ warranties